#Celebrating80Years: 2017 marked 80 years of working with Colorado’s nonprofits as they seek to strengthen their communities. Throughout 2018, we will be looking back on this history of the outstanding organizations and people the Trustees have had the opportunity to support. On the blog you will find a history of the Foundation’s grant making and a representative organization from every year since our founding in 1937.
As can be seen in their giving to educational institutions like the Fountain Valley School and to organizations like the Boys & Girls Club of the Pikes Peak Region and Colorado Springs Day Nursery Association, Spencer and Julie Penrose were philanthropically invested in the well-being of children in the Colorado Springs community. Another example of this interest in the Foundation’s early giving can be seen in grants made to both Boy and Girl Scouts in the Pikes Peak region.
Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts Wagon Wheel Council
Scouting, whether for boys or girls, emphasizes the development of character and confidence in children and adolescents.
Girl Scouts of America was founded by Juliette Gordon Low in 1912, the midst of the Progressive era in United States. Low gathered a group of girls to participate in activities together ranging from basketball and swimming to foreign language study and service. The Colorado Springs Wagon Wheel Council, established in 1917, was the first in Colorado, and in 1919 the 14th National Girl Scout Convention was held at the Broadmoor. Today, more than 100 years from the establishment of the Colorado Springs chapter, Girl Scouts of Colorado serves 24,000 girls and 10,000 adult volunteers annually.
Boy Scouts of America came to Colorado Springs the year before the Girl Scouts, in 1916. The oldest continuously-chartered troop in Colorado is Pikes Peak Council’s Troop 2, originally chartered to Colorado Springs’ First Presbyterian Church. Today, BSA continues to serve youth throughout Colorado with the mission of preparing young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
El Pomar in 1946:
The Foundation’s giving reached a new height in 1946, with over $465,000 granted to 27 organizations. Most of the funding continued to remain in Colorado Springs, with new grantees including: Colorado Springs School District 11, the Cragmor Foundation, and the City of Manitou Springs (toward the construction of a war memorial.) Funding outside of Colorado Springs included Central City Opera House, St. Peters Church in Cripple Creek, and repairs to the Catholic Church in Central City.
Spotlight by Corey Baron