On the north side of Colorado Springs’s Old North End is the 364-bed Penrose Hospital. Originally the Glockner Tuberculosis Sanatorium, it was founded in 1891, when Colorado Springs was seen as a medical destination for those suffering from the disease. The hospital has grown and evolved dramatically since its origins, but continues to provide high quality care in Colorado Springs.
Delta County Libraries has administered an adult literacy program for nearly 20 years with funds acquired through a federal grant. Denial of the 2017-2018 grant application leads the library to seek alternative funding.
The former Salvation Army building is being transformed into Pueblo Rescue Mission's temporary warming shelter, scheduled to stay open every night through April.
Although they had no children of their own, Spencer and Julie Penrose were committed to the well-being of the children in their community, and gave generously to organizations like the Boys & Girls Club of Colorado Springs throughout their lives. El Pomar Foundation is proud to continue that legacy today.
The largest grant El Pomar Foundation provided in its first year went to the Fountain Valley School, which has provided excellent education in Colorado Springs for over 85 years.