Forum for Civic Advancement
News and Updates
Click here if you wish to receive invitations to Forum events.
ABout the Forum
Founded in 2002, the Forum for Civic Advancement seeks and supports individuals interested in contributing to the civic health of the Pikes Peak Region. It operates lectures, panels, and seminars in which public-minded citizens can meet other current and aspiring political and civic leaders, and engage cutting-edge political ideas from around the country.
The Forum currently operates two main programs:
Lectures and Panels. Throughout the year, the Forum brings in outstanding speakers from across the country to provide insights on public policy issues affecting Colorado. Most events are held in the Penrose House Pavilion, which provides a neutral ground on which to debate some of the most challenging issues of our day.
The Civic Advancement Seminar. An exciting program that completed its first year in 2010, the purpose of the non-partisan Seminar is to develop quality leaders for the future of Colorado Springs. It is a monthly educational and networking program held in the fall for 10 top young professionals. Participants receive a crash course in public policy and the American social sector, discuss solutions to pressing issues in the city, and build bi-partisan relationships that will improve dialogue and problem-solving down the road. Seminar sessions cover the following topics: self-government, community stewardship, local government, nonprofits, and public-private partnerships.
Past Forum Speakers
The insightful and influential political figures who have generously contributed their time and expertise to Forum lectures and seminars have included:
- Daniel Kemmis, Former Mayor of Missoula
- Joseph Postell, The Heritage Foundation
- William Schambra, The Hudson Institute
- Chuck Fowler, Founder of the City Committee
- Christopher Gates, Executive Director of Philanthropy for Active Civic Engagement
- Former Senator Gary Hart
- Presidential Scholar Dr. Tom Cronin
- Senator John Andrews
- Dick Celeste, Former Ambassador to India and Governor of Ohio
- Colorado Springs Mayor Mary Lou Makepeace
- Colorado Governor Dick Lamm
- Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell
- State Senator Steve Durham